Semenova Elena Fedorovna, Candidate of biological sciences, professor, senior staff scientist, sub-department of general and clinical pharmacology, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Markelova Natalia Nikolaevna, Applicant, sub-department of general and clinical pharmacology, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), email@example.com
Shulga Elena Borisovna, Candidate of agricultural sciences, senior staff scientist, department of selection and seed growing of essential oil and medicinal cultures, Crimea Institute of Agriculture (150 Kievskaya street, Simferopol, Russia)
Shpichka Anastasia Iosifovna, Candidate of biological sciences, associate professor, sub-department of general and clinical pharmacology, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Zhuchenko Elena Vladimirovna, Student, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), email@example.com
Marchenko Maryna Prokofievna, Research, sub-department of selection and seed growing of essential oil and medicinal cultures, Crimea Institute of Agriculture (150 Kievskaya street, Simferopol, Russia)
Background. In recent years the search of essential oils, which can be used to treat human infections, has been in progress mainly because of the appearance of resistant bacteria and the slow development of new antibiotics. The aim of the research is to study antibacterial effects of mint oil on some opportunistic Gramnegative bacteria in comparison with antibiotics.
Material and methods. The 4 species of the opportunistic Gram-negative bacteria were studied. The antibiotic susceptibility to the antibiotics (15 drugs) and the mint oil (5 breeds) was determined by the disk-diffusion method.
Results. The performed estimation has revealed the prevalence of bactericidal action of the mint oils with different component compositions on the tested hospital strains. The antibiotics showed the bacteriostatic and bactericidal effects on the studied cultures, in some cases there was an absence of isolates inhibition. The synergetic and antagonistic effects of complex action - perspective and recommended for each studied species – were determined in vitro for the mint oil and the antibiotics.
Conclusions. The authors revealed the antimicrobial activity of the mint oils on the tested hospital strains of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia, Psеudomonas aeruginosa, Acinetobacter baumannii, Klebsiella pneumonia, which exceeds and in some cases enhances the effect of antibiotics (concentrations 5...105 μg).
1. Kalemba D. Current Medicinal Chemistry. 2003, vol. 10, p. 813–829.
2. Bakkalia F., Averbecka S., Averbecka D., Idaomar M. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2008, vol. 46, is. 2, pp. 446–475.
3. Khan M. S. A., Zahin M., Hasan S., Husain F. M., Ahmad I. Letters in Applied Microbiology. 2009, vol. 49, is. 3, pp. 354–360.
4. Thapa D., Losa R., Zweifel B., Wallace R. J. Microbiology. 2012, vol. 158, no. 11, pp. 2870–2877.
5. Eds. J. Reichling, P. Schnitzler, U. Suschke, R. Saller Forschende Komplementär medizin [Research in Complementary Medicine]. 2009, no. 16, pp. 79–90.
6. Brooke J. S. Clinical Microbiology Reviews. 2012, no. 25 (1), pp. 2–41.
7. Giamarellou H. International J. of Antimicrobial Agents. 2010, vol. 36, suppl. 2, pp. 50–54.
8. Markelova N. N., Semenova E. F. Materialy 78-y itogovoy stud. nauch.-prakt. konf. s mezhdunar. uchastiem, posvyashch. 95-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya prof. Yu. M. Lubenskogo (22–25 aprelya 2014 g.) [Proceedings of 78th concluding student scientific and practical conference with international participation commemorating 95th jubilee of professor Yu. M. Lubensky (22–25 April, 2014)].Krasnoyarsk:Tip.KrasGMU,Verso,2014,pp.391–393.
9. Opredelenie gramotritsatel'nykh potentsial'no patogennykh bakteriy – vozbuditeley vnutribol'nichnykh infekt siy : metod. rekomendatsii [Determination of gram-negative potentially pathogenic bacteria causing nosocomial infections: recommended practice]. Moscow, 1986, 36 p.
10. European Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (EUCAST). 2014.
11. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). 2013.
12. Biokhimicheskie metody analiza efiromaslichnykh rasteniy i efirnykh masel: sb. nauch. tr. [Biochemical methods of analyzing essential oil plants and essential oils: collected papers]. Simferopol, 1972, 108 p.
13. Trukhacheva N. V. Matematicheskaya statistika v mediko-biologicheskikh issledovaniyakh s primeneniem paketa Statistica [Mathematical statistics in biomedical research using Statistics package]. Moscow: GEOTAR-Media, 2012, 384 p.